Basic Classes of Coatings
Specifications and Testing
This web-based course is designed for the engineer who must specify coatings for their application. Many times an engineer enters a job with little or no coatings knowledge and starts working with a coating system that is not performing adequately. The goal of this course is to help you determine your real needs, what type of coating would meet those needs, and how to make sure the specifications are written in such a way that your supplier provides the coating you need, not just what has been adequate in the past. Failures and frequent problems encountered are addressed along with ways of fixing or preventing the problem. The protective coating is dealt with as an entire system from substrate preparation through coating(s) to the final use environment.
You need NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE in the coatings field to take this course. A thorough understanding of your process and the end-use of your product is all you need to get the most from this course.
This self-paced course uses Blackboard, a distance learning tool where progress is monitored using simple quizzes. A total of eleven chapters covers the material but the format encourages interaction between participants and instructors through discussion groups and a virtual classroom.
You can get a glimpse of the format by accessing the course as a guest:
1. Go to http://blackboard.mst.edu in your internet browser's URL address window
2. Click on preview (for guest access)
3. Go to the green "COURSES" tab near the top left corner
4. Click on Chemistry
5. Search for Coatings for Engineers then click on it
Here you can access the Announcements, Course Information (including an outline of the course), Staff Information, and some External Links to other interesting information pertaining to the course. Also, if you click on Course Map, you can see tabs that have content in them and expand the list to get an overview of the content. For example, if you expand Lectures, you will see the chapters that are currently available but you will not be able to access them.
Good luck! If you have problems or questions contact Jeanine Maxwell at 573-341-4012 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you will register soon for this convenient course to be taken at your pace.
COURSE FEE: $450.00
The course fee activates a participant's access for 6 months. If the participant needs additional access time, $50 for an additional 3 months can be purchased. There will be a series of simple question modules the participant must answer. After the completion of all modules, a certificate will be awarded.
1. Strengthen the communications link between coatings manufacturers, end-use engineers and academia.
2. Address technological advances due to regulatory problems of VOC, heavy metal and other environmental issues through research, communication and education.
3. Advise, target and help the Missouri S&T Coatings Institute continue to forge a technological leadership role in the area of polymers and coatings.
4. Increase the educational opportunities and quality of programs offered for Undergraduate, Graduate and Industrial people.
5. Aid in keeping the Missouri S&T Coatings Institute's instrumentation and facilities at the state-of-the-art level.
6. Increase and focus the research programs within the Missouri S&T Coatings Institute.
1. Five (5) hours of free consulting or 8 hours of testing.
2. One (1) free admission to the Missouri S&T Coatings Institute's annual conference and 50% off all additional attendees.
3. A 67% reduction in the cost of the Missouri S&T on line Coatings for Engineers course ($225 members $450 non-members).
4. A 20% reduction in the course fee for all Missouri S&T Coatings Institute Short courses.
6. Information on summer interns and new graduates.
7. Research and testing options.
The membership fee will be $2,000 per year per company. The goal is to have a representative from the company act as a contact point for general communications between Missouri S&T and the company. Any personnel from the corporation would be eligible for the discounts. Missouri S&T Coatings Institute will keep track of consulting hours or testing. Additional consulting and testing would be available either on a cost reimbursement or contract basis.
COATINGS APPLICATION FOUNDATION FEE: $2,000.00
TO JOIN THE FOUNDATION CONTACT ALICE M. CLIFT, COORDINATOR, VIA THE INFORMATION LISTED BELOW.
Alice M. Clift, Coordinator
Missouri S&T Coatings Institute
1870 Miner Circle
USBM Bldg. #2
Rolla, Missouri 65409-1020
Telephone#: (573) 341-4419
E-mail address: email@example.com
Please have the following information ready:
Your Name, Company Name, Address, Telephone#, Fax#, e-mail address and method of payment.