Partial Listing of Research and Testing Equipment Missouri S&T Coatings Institute
Fusion Microwave UV System - A UV Curing system with type D, H and V lamps, variable speed belt feed and variable power output
- Minimum Film Formation Temperature System - Measures the minimum coalescing temperature of a waterborne coating.
- AC Impedance - Solartron 1287/1260 Corrosion studies, porosity investigations, coalescing, mechanistic studies.
- Particle Size Analyzer - analysis of particle size in solutions, 0.8nm to 3um.
- Ultrasonic Microscope - ultrasonic examination of coatings, interfaces, and substrates.
- Gas Chromatography - Shimadzu GC-14A with C-R5A Chromatopac Data Station Capillary GC used for analysis of solvents and monomer purity.
- Gradient HPLC - ISCO 2360/2350 High Pressure Liquid Chromatograph with Tracor 970A UV, Visible, and refractive index detectors.
- Instron - Model 1122 with computerized data station for tensile strength, adhesion and similar testing.
- Gloss - 20, 60 and 85 degree Gloss measurement devices.
- Atlas UV2000 Weatherometer - Ultraviolet and condensation accelerated weathering testing with automatic ultraviolet intensity adjustment
- QUV - Ultraviolet and condensation accelerated weathering testing.
- Q-Fog - Cyclic corrosion testing including Prohesion and ASTM B117.
- Taber Abrasion - Paint, plastic leather and many other substrates evaluated for abrasion resistance.
- Linear Abrasion - Taber linear abrasion unit
- Adhesion - Patti Elcometer 110, CDI Digital Torque Wrench, Elcometer adhesion tester, and cross-hatch adhesion measurements.
- Scrub Testing - ASTM D 2486-95.
- Scratch and Mar - ASTM D 2197, D 2454, D 5178, Mil-P7788A
- Film Thickness - Magnetic, Eddie current, and Tooke gauges.
- Density - Micromeritics Accupyc 1330 Helium displacement for solids such as pigments, dry resins, dry paint chips, etc.
- Color Measurement - Minolta CM-2002, Minolta CM-1000, Byk Gardner Color-Guide, ACS Color SpectroSensor II, Byk Color/Gloss Meter.
- Viscosity - Stormer, Brookfield Cone and Plate CAP2000, Brookfield Rheometer Model DV-III, Ford cups, Zahn Cups, Gardner Bubble Viscometers.
- Flash Point - Fisher/Tag Close Cup Tester ASTM D-56
- Dry Time - B.K. Dry Time Recorder ASTM D5895, Ambient Dry Time ASTM D1640
- Laser Differential Refractometer - Chromatix KMX-16
- Plus numerous draw down bars, impact testers, sand abrader, mandrels, etc. for testing application and evaluation of coatings.
- Meyers Dual Shaft Vacuum Tank Mill
- Cowles Dissolver
- Zinger Lab Scale Media Mill
- Kady Rotor Stator Mill
- Dyno-Mill Type KDL A
- Master Servodyne Mill
- Dual Ball Mill
- 11 Drill Press Mills
- 2 Dispermat Mills
POWDER SIZING EQUIPMENT
- Tyler Sieve System
- Combs Gyrator Sieve System
- Warman Cyclosizer
OTHER EQUIPMENT ACCESSIBLE ON CAMPUS
- Scanning Electron Microscopy
- Transmission Electron Microscopy
- X-Ray Flourescence
- Auger Spectroscopy
- Powder X-ray
- Tunneling Microscopy
- FTIR Near, Mid and Far (Microscope attachment also)
- Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Emission Spectroscopy
- Mass Spectrometers 8 on campus including FAB, EI, CI, GC/MS, LC/MS, MS/MS
- Modulated DSC
- Force Microscopy
- High Pressure Water Jet